Monday, January 11, 2010

ten.



 I really kind of hate this picture. If I was smarter I would have used a different plate. But I was really tired, and really cranky and Colin kept thinking it was funny to dash his fork in front of the plate as I was taking the picture, so this is the best I got.

Ribs
from Grassfed Gourmet by Shannon Hayes

Barbecue Spice Rub
3-4 lbs spareribs or babyback ribs
Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Coat ribs with BBQ spice rub, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit overnight in fridge

Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.

Bring ribs to room temperature, (I added more rub here) place ribs in shallow pan in middle of oven. Roast 3.5 - 4 hours (I did mine 4 and they weren't tender/fall off the bone enough for me, I'd do more like 6 or more hours, and maybe baste with some beer during cooking to keep moist). Coat generously with BBQ sauce and cook another 30 minutes, brush once more with sauce before serving.

BBQ Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup to 1 cup red wine or tarragon vinegar
1/2 cup molasses or dark corn syrup
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp onion powder or 2 tsp finely minced onion
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce

 Combine all ingredients in saucepan over high heat, whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes uncovered. Simmer longer for a thicker sauce, or thin with extra vinegar

* I doubled the recipe because I had two racks of ribs. I also added a dash of Worcestershire sauce and some liquid smoke

BBQ Spice Rub
1/2 cup chili powder
3 tbs ground black pepper
4 tbs sugar
3 tbs coarse salt
2 tbs paprika


Combine all ingredients, store extra in air tight container.

The ribs definitely should have been cooked longer, they just weren't tender enough for me. But the flavors of the spice rub and the barbecue sauce (which was tangy instead of smokey) were really good.





Pan Fried Potatoes
from me

Since my oven was being used for the ribs, and we just did mashed potatoes the other night, I threw together some pan fried potatoes. Again, cranky and tired last night - so these were quick and easy.

Red potatoes quarted
oil
butter
garlic powder
coarse salt
black pepper
minced onion
minced garlic

Heat oil (enough to cover bottom of pan) and pat of butter in a cast iron skillet. Season oil with some salt, pepper and garlic powder

When oil is heated add potatoes

Cook about 25 minutes, flipping often. Add more salt and pepper, onion and garlic to taste during cooking time.

These came out pretty awesome. Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Cari said...

Yum!! That looks so good!

Sara said...

I think it is the flash on the first picture. It is really really hard to photograph meat to get it to look good. I'm not sure why, but I have the best success with sunshine and no flash. Hard to come by in the winter. Or just take the pic in front of the window and brighten and add shadows in your photo editor. It's not the plate, imo.

The meal looks delicious! Almost makes me want to cook ribs. I've never done it. I'm not a huge fan of bbq.